Bitola Jewish Cemetery Preservation
The southern Macedonian town of Bitola was at the center of Jewish culture in the region prior to World War II. Most of its Jews were descended from exiles who came from Spain and Portugal following expulsion in 1498. In 1943, the Nazi German-appointed Bulgarian rulers of the area deported 98 percent of Macedonia’s Jewish population to the Treblinka death camp.
Then Commission Member Michael Menis worked with the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments and Museums of Bitola to completely restore the entrance to the Bitola Jewish cemetery. The Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Macedonia and Menis co-funded the project.